||First Steps: Writing Developmental Continuum
||Education Dept of Australia
||***Linking assessment with teaching and learning***
The First Steps program equips teachers to assess and record the literacy abilities of their students, then select appropriate strategies that will improve their literacy skills.
Components of the Program:
The Developmental Continua are the backbone of the First Steps program. A Developmental Continuum book in each area provides the framework for analysing students' development in Reading, Writing, Spelling and Oral Language. This accurate and diagnostic framework enables teachers to link assessment with teaching and learning.
The Four Developmental Continua help teachers to:
* accurately assess students' understandings and skills.
* explicitly map students' progress.
* plan teaching and learning experiences based on assessment.
* communicate students' progress to parents.
The Resource Books:
* cover Reading, Writing, Spelling and Oral Language.
* present practical teaching ideas and strategies appropriate to the different developmental levels of students.
Parents as Partners:
(the First Steps book for parents)
* gives parents an explanation of the First Steps philosophy.
* includes a concise explanation of the Developmental Continua.
* provides practical suggestions for helping children through each developmental stage.
* supplies resource sheets for parents to observe and note the progress of their children.